Sunday, November 14, 2010

You Say Tomato, I Say Tomato..."

Carefully use opposites with children. In healthy doses there is nothing the kids love more than a good argument.

When was beginning I used to do body parts and miss match them, point to my knee for my elbow, pretend my hand was my foot. I've learned over the many many years, you can use these practices as laugh getter with children.

I came back from a birthday party show this morning where the kids kept singing "happy birthday" when I said, "Let's count to 3 and say Happy Birthday" The first time one of them naturally started singing. I feigned anger and said. "no singing" We did it again. nearly all of them sang. And this goes on till we reach the tipping point.

Here's the thing. I used the "no singing" to get big laughs. This generally isn't part of the show. I had a situation where the birthday girl was shy and didn't want to be with me to start the show. I don't think shouting out happy birthday is that interesting, so I tend not to do something so straight forward. In this case, I wanted to make sure she was acknowledged and loved.

I used this thing the kids would naturally do to do the argument approach. And we did it with something huge like "happy birthday". feigned arguments will get your message across in a big way. I want the kids to know it's Katie's birthday, I want them remembering whey they are there. I want the parents to hear laughter and business wise, I want them to hear "happy birthday" and laughter together.

The argument approach can be used to huge effect if you maintain control. It can build but you have to stay present to know when to switch, know when to distract the kids into some other routine. Children will not tire, they just get on their feet and start running. I don't want this in my show, I want just a hair below that, then bring them down.

I like the argument approach because it's always in my back pocket. I can use it if I don't get a volunteer for a routine. I can use it if I have a volunteer that's not working. I can use it if I get child that starts crying.

Repetition is key to using this. I tell the kids "no singing..." and I do it again. A rough rule, for shouting maybe 3 possibly 4 times. In a magic trick I can do more, but that's because we end up arguing with an inanimate object. This is sort of like bringing in another actor to interact with.

I also have the choice of not using it. That's important to point out. This doesn't have to be part of routine. There are certainly times the kids are already climbing the walls. By coincidence I did a late show last night for a large church social dance. A lot of the kids knew me, it was late, they are with cousins, it was fancy but a fun church. I got there at 8:30, the kids were already out of their minds.

I pulled back on the arguing thing because it sent them over the edge, I didn't have a lot of supervision so I want them fascinated but in my control.

Use this power sparingly, it's funny, you get to be a clown (what could be funnier than be angry about someone singing "happy birthday" at a birthday party!). You get attention and laughs. When it gets to a high point, switch abruptly. Another big laugh and you'll have the kids attention for the next routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment