Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Man It's Hard To Ask For Help..."

I heard once that if you look around, you have, at your fingertips something like 250 experts.

If you look at it, you have your friends and family. My brother is an engineer and has a computer company. If I needed information on computers he would know an awful lot, (in fact often too much). My best friend from kindergarten to college works for a company setting up conferences for industry. He knows a lot about the booking of hotels, hiring speakers, the organization of an event of that size etc.

I tend to try and get everything done myself, I don't think this is terribly wise, it's just the way I'm wired.

I stepped out of my comfort zone today and took a magic lesson from a friend of mine. I am an ok magician, I deal in kids magic but I know what I know, I haven't studied magic the way he has.

I tend to "think" I know a lot because I hang around magicians a lot, I buy stuff at the magic store, I perform magic but there is a much bigger world out there to explore. I needed help to improve on a demonstration I'm doing for a company. We spent an hour and a half working on things, mostly him correcting me, or working on my presentation or just saying dump that trick and do this one.

The dumb part, he's my best friend, we talk constantly but I'm embarrassed to ask for his help. Him showing me the presentation on these tricks is like me making a balloon dog for him; So easy.

There are experts in our lives, people that know an awful lot. In the case of my brother, he has colleagues that would be happy to help their friends brother, my friend that does conferences knows people all around the country that would do him favors. We have so many people at our disposal. I don't use it but I have to think what would happen if I did.

I have access to theatre people, to web designers, to doctors, to teachers, nurses, artists, police officers, of course clowns, magicians and jugglers. Doing everything myself is maybe the way I'm wired but is it best?

It's why I started this blog. I wanted to share my knowledge. What I'm getting is an expansion of my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment