Sunday, November 21, 2010

"I'm Sick...What To Do...What To Do..."

Over the quadrillion years I've been doing kids shows, I am amazed at getting a phone call from someone saying their clown cancelled and they have a houseful of kids, can I make it?

I always wonder, who are these people that would leave someone in the lurch like that and not find someone to do the show for them? I'm fairly certain, they aren't sick, they just got something better or decided to take the day off. Why in the world would you do that to someone? It's not just bad business, it's just rude, especially knowing the stress of someone trying to do a party. I may attend parties week in and week out but I never forget, this is a big deal to people. They only do this once.

I have lost a lot of money over the years with offers of better jobs, I will always be there, rain or shine. In the end, I don't think it mattered, most times I work there is no offer for other jobs. It just seems like a good policy and it keeps things straight.

We as children's entertainers are a very small world. I can tell you that I would help almost any other performer out in a pinch. And most other performers would do the same.

So, what's the problem? I think we are in a business that has a reputation for flakiness. There is a bigger picture for all of us. The better we do, the less stress we cause, the more likely all of us will work more.

No comments:

Post a Comment