Monday, November 22, 2010

“Why Is A Poop Joke Important?”

Here is the thing about kids, they are going developing all the time, every second, all the time. A big part of the development is the fascination with feces, excrement, do do, or plain old poo.

I get parents from time to time not liking that I encourage this. Everything I do with kids is for their fun and growth. They can’t believe a grown person is saying the word poo, it gets funnier the more times you say it. I mean how can it not?

When I was young I was watching the animal trainers at Marine World. They said, training is never teaching an animal what it can’t do, it’s having them do what they would normally do but on command. So a dolphin will jump out of the water, the training is simply will you do it when I blow the whistle.

I don’t want to compare children to dolphins, but what the heck. Children are going to be amazed with poo. No matter what. It’s a huge developmental stepping stone. That’s why there are so many videos about toilet training. That’s why there are bears selling toilet paper, that’s why there are cute diaper commercials.

When we (yes all of us have to do this), when we learn to poo on our own. It’s an achievement. It’s high level learning. It’s a huge milestone. So why not celebrate it with the whoopie cushion, the rhyming the word blue with poo? The “excuse me, I had a breakfast burrito” joke.

I say embrace the poo! That’s a bit gross....

Embrace the poo joke!

No comments:

Post a Comment