Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Don't Forget To Say You're Welcome!"

There is a routine by Lenny Bruce where The Lone Ranger does good things for the people in a village. They go to say thanks and he says "you don't have to thank me" and rides off. This keeps happening, the townsfolk get more and more frustrated because he won't take a thanks and start to get really angry at him. Pretty soon they are swearing at him and don't want his help.

It's a very funny routine and was made into a cartoon sometime in the 60s. It's well worth watching, it's funny because it's so true.

There are many shows that I don't think went well. For whatever reason, "the audience wasn't with me", I'm "off" or "I just didn't find my flow". In these times I really want to avoid the person that booked me or give my payment back. I have to fight these urges and take the thanks for the "wonderful show".

I could say (and I have...sigh). "It wasn't as good as I usually am". "I'm so sorry I was a little off tonight". Etc. What they said was, "thank you". The proper and polite response is "you're welcome!" Maybe even a, "I hope you had as much fun as I did". With all your acting skills and conviction, look them in the eye and take in their appreciation.

I've gone to a movie or a play or a comedy show, I've had a good time and liked what I saw. The person I'm with will say "I just didn't like the acting" or "That was terrible..." or "That was a rip-off of so and so's routine..." It will completely change my experience of the play, movie or show I just saw and enjoyed. I suddenly feel stupid, like I don't know what I saw. I question my own judgement of what I have seen. If you take away your customer's enjoyment of your show, you are taking away their self esteem, possibly insulting them. Remember, they are looking to make a whole bunch of people happy, you did your job, they had a good time, their guests had a good time.

Put yourself in the other person's shoes. They want their guests to have fun and laugh. If you fulfilled on this, that's what they are thanking you for. Again, don't take that away, that's mean.

Just like the Lenny Bruce routine, don't run away, take in their appreciation.

I have two very musical sons. I go to the 20 or so concerts they give with their schools, with their music lessons or what not. I have no musical ability whatsoever, I'm really impressed by musicians, it consistently amazes me that my children can take an inanimate object and fill the air with music.

After the concert or on the way home, I'll say "that was really good, I thought you guys were great tonight!"

My son's say to me, "I was terrible tonight" "We were better the other day when we played for the convalescent hospital" "The beat was off" "We didn't rehearse this one long enough, we just got the sheet music" etc.

That simply makes me feel bad. I heard what I heard, I know it's peppered with parental pride of course, but still, I think I can tell a well played piece of music. If it sounded good, it was good.

I know a lot of what they are doing is the "aw shucks" thing but a simple, thank you or thanks or yeah, we were really on tonight would be make me feel great about myself.

Do something good for the world, say you're welcome! Just accept you are good!

No comments:

Post a Comment