Friday, November 19, 2010

"Staying The Course..."

I have to deal with my own inability to stay the course...

I made a goal of doing a blog entry every day. In fact, I made a goal of doing a blog entry and going back and revise my writing every day.

I missed yesterday. I had a good record, I had done 28 in a row. That's pretty good. Yesterday, I found time to do all sorts of goofy things. I found time to talk on the phone, call my mom, clean the house, take a nap, I took an Aikido class... No blog time

So what, you missed a day... There is something very powerful about making a promise. A promise is hard to keep. I could make a promise to brush my teeth but I that's not very hard for me. It's the personal growth stuff that's tough, saying I will write and work on my blog is tough.

Why bring this up in a blog about musings about clowning. Because it's all the same. My promise to work on writing is just like my promise to be a better clown, make more money, have a better show, have more shows.

Missing a day of a blog is not that big a deal. The big deal is to not stay the course. My big goal in all this is to work on a book for entertainers that specialize in children. The blog itself is just to work on that goal.

I have to look at my goals as a performer. I make little promises all the time. Did I do something to forward my intention toward that goal today? For instance:

I'm booked to do a holiday show in a theatre in San Francisco. It's something I do every year. Last year, I had a very hard time getting an audience. The question, am I doing something every day to get word out?

The show requires me to write new routines. It's a theatre show, it's got a plot and it's themed for the holidays. So, have I been practicing the new routines? Have I purchased the props or acquired the props I need?

I could go on forever.

This little promise to do a blog entry is to show me, I can do something every day. There will be times I miss but I will get back on the horse and keep riding. This show I'm doing in December. I have a lot of little voices in my head telling me it's a lot of work, no one ever comes. But I have a bigger goal. I've always wanted to do theatre shows for kids. This is a step toward that goal. To get better and better all the time.

So, I'll promise to keep moving toward my book about performing. I'll promise to keep moving toward the goal of performing for kids in a theatre, I'll promise to keep writing working toward that goal of writing a book about performing.



No comments:

Post a Comment