Saturday, November 13, 2010

"Living On Top Of The Pyramid"

What makes a good performer, especially one that works with children is how close to the peak of the pyramid can you balance? That's where comedy comes from.

I think all performers balance on this peak but the children's performer does a balancing act on that tiny area.

Here is my metaphore explained. I like the image of a pyramid because, if you chop off the top you have a nice safe area to stand and make speeches. It's like a nice safe three legged stool. I try and press things, I think of my performing as putting a little pencil sharpener on top of the pyramid and constantly sharpening the point to see if I can still balance and not fall.

Basically this is where comedy comes from. Comedy is making a right turn when your whole body was prepared for a left turn. So that balance thing, we can take our audience in any direction.

The downside. Sometimes you tumble. Living on the point is not playing it safe. With children, there are times I can get them laughing so hard, it gets crazy. Sometimes kids just fall over on their side with laughter. There are even times kids wet themselves I get them laughing so hard.

On the other side, kids can maintain this level of energy, they just never tire. If we keep the balancing point, they will keep going until...they fall over.

It takes a long time to step off that platform and balance. But that's the goal. This is how we keep performances fresh and exciting. I never tire of my show, I think because I'm in it as if for the first time. If I can keep myself balancing, the audience knows we're in slight danger of falling over. It's a journey we are both on.

No comments:

Post a Comment