Monday, April 6, 2015

Who's the Party About?

At the end of a birthday party show I go to the birthday boy/girl and give them my complete undivided attention.  I whisper a secret in their ear (usually, it was great to be at their circus).  I Get a high five.  Make them feel special.

A good buddy of mine told me about a fairy princess he hired for his daughter when she was 5.  He's a professional magician.  He's seen everything.  He's a great performer himself.

He thought the show and songs were so so.  But that last moment made him cry and he gave her a big tip.

I heard this and incorporated this into my birthday party show.  I don't know what it looks like.  I don't know if it gets me more tips.  I do know that if this were my child and the performer spent a second focused on my child. I'd like it and appreciate it.

You have to stop and ask.  "Why am I doing this show?"  Most of my shows are birthday party shows.  The focus of the birthday party show is the birthday child.

I ask.  "what's my checklist to make sure it's special for the family?"

Make sure I take a picture with the birthday child and me.  If it's a baby, even more important.
Make sure I use the birthday child's name in my show.
Make sure I spend a few seconds with the birthday child and thank them for having me.
Make sure I send a thank you.

There is nothing more special to a family than their child's birthday.  I always have this in my mind. I do a lot of children's parties.  I never let myself take for granted how special this is and what an honor to be part of something so important to the family.

So.  I take minute and just let the birthday child know, I'm so happy THEY invited me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment