Sunday, April 26, 2015

Mimes Are Awesome...

I am unapologetic about how much I love mimes.

Mimes got a bad rap a few years ago.  I'm not sure why.  How often do you actually see a mime?  I study mime, love mime and I only see a mime every couple of years.

Every once and a while I get hired as a strolling mime.  I get so nervous.  I get nervous about my skill level, will people try and hurt me, do people really hate mimes.  Will they hate me?

I did a fancy cocktail party a few days ago. Just so fun.

Mime is such a pretty character.  It's also non-threatening.  It's a quiet character and people just want to hug you and take pictures.  It's fun with the silence to make people laugh.

I've studied mime.  Not for years but I love the classes when I get to do them.  It compliments my art form hugely.  Mime is just the pure study of the body on stage.  Incredibly geeky.  It's not about the rope and box.  Mime is about the space you take when you are on stage.  This applies to actors, clowns, musicians, stand up comedians.  Any body on a stage.

When I go out as a mime, I get really nervous because I won't have all my verbal stuff available to me.  I really don't need it.  I am just a funny guy.  I have a lot of gags available to me.  I have facial expressions, I have body mechanics.  I'm also good at make-up.  My costumes look good and I'm just cute.

It's a challenge but a good one.

For cocktail parties it's just a wonderful character roaming around making people smile.  More corporate events should have a mime while people are mingling.


No comments:

Post a Comment