Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Go See Your Friends Perform...

For a big chunk of last year, I worked on a one man show.  Not for kids but for adults.

It was emotional for me.  Personal.  I thought this show would be a new direction in my performing life.  The combination of acting, stand up comedy, story telling and clowning.

Most people I know missed it.  Or treated it like it was a choice.

If someone lets you know about their performance, I don't believe you have a choice in going or not going.  It's on the level of "Are you coming to my wedding?"  "Are you coming to my son's Bar Mitzvah?"

As long as I've been performing, I still get nervous.  If there are people in the audience I know, I'm really nervous.  I have my entire being at stake.  My ego is taking a hit in a big way.

My one man show was extra personal.  It's been a number of months and I'm still hurt at how people didn't go out of their way to come.  I didn't do one show, I did 7 shows.  That's a lot to choose from.

My sons have both told me what an important lesson they've learned by my insisting they go see their friends in shows.  I don't get a lot of acknowledgement for my parenting but this one they both get.

Both my sons go out of their way and will apologize to a friend if there is a conflict they can't get out of.  They've both told me how they don't understand other friends that don't bother.

I took my son a couple of weeks ago to his friends play.  It was a teenage version of Les Miserables.  On paper I was thinking "oh God...".    It was 45 minutes away.  The girl's parents were beside themselves that I would come all that way to support their daughter.  I know.  It's who I am.

The best part.  It was great.  I loved it. I had a great time.

If you miss someone's show, it's done and gone.  It's not a photo, or a video.  It's gone into the air.  You can never see it.

If you just go.  It means so much to that person.  Good or bad has no relevance to me in the going.  It's just support, it's emotional support.  It's what we do for each other.

What bugs me so much about the friends that didn't come to my show.  I've been to their shows.  Because I always do.  This is not a one way street.

After my experience it hurt my relationship with a number of people.  Not to the point to where I will say something.  But I view them very differently.

I've always been confused by the idea of thick skin as a performer.  I've never gotten used to rejection.  I've never not been nervous.  I've never not cared what people think of me.  I don't think I ever will.  I have a very thin skin.  Stuff hurts.  I think it does for all of us.

Go support each other.   Get off the couch and go.


No comments:

Post a Comment