Friday, April 10, 2015

Balloon Animal Comedy...

Statistics have spoken.  My loyal fan base wants more funny stuff with balloons.

I'm psychic.  I know it.  I'm amazing that way.  I can read your minds...Plus Google gives me analytics.  This touchy feely stuff is cool for me.  Not so much for my audience.

I'm actually crying now.  Be guilty. Very guilty.

Do you remember how cool you used to think balloons were?  Way way back.  Maybe you still do.

I had a teacher in college that taught me balloon animals.  It was a clown class.  This teacher, I'm sure never did a kids party, he was all about stage clowning.  He's an awesome guy.  I'll give him a plug.  Here's his book

http://www.amazon.com/Physical-Comedy-Handbook-Davis-Robinson/dp/0325001146

I just thought it was so cool I was doing balloon animals.  I really thought, this is clowning, what could be better?

I got in trouble when I first came home from the circus.  I was working in a box office with my now wife.  My boss said, "no balloon animals in here...ever!"

So I made them all the time.  I'm a dick.

Balloons are fun, they make you feel good, I want one, they are colorful.  This is where the comedy will come.

Do a big production.  Do a fanfare on your phone.  Bring a kazoo and toot out. Da da du.  Drum roll and finally present an empty balloon.  Fall in love with it, dance with it.  Then give it to a child.

Call it a worm.  Tell the audience.  I'm pretty good eh?  Kids will argue.

Do the whole routine again.  Never underestimate repetition.  Do it exactly as you did before.  blow it up a little.  Give it to a kid.  A pregnant worm.

Do the routine, this time faster.  Blow it up all the way, let it go.  That worm had gas.  Wave at your backside. He must have eaten a burrito.

You can let balloons go in a bunch of ways.  The comedy is to make the balloon smarter than you.  Give the balloon status.  It's an important balloon.  Be surprised that the balloon is not doing what you want.  This is clowning.  Don't do a pretend surprised.  Really believe the balloon is going to stay inflated if you don't tie it.

Clowns are not stupid, they just do stupid things.  Don't be dumb, be surprised that something dumb happened.  We all do dumb things. (Ever lock your keys in the car?  Clowns just do it a lot)

Keep making similar mistakes of letting the balloon go.  One time say.  "There's something wrong with this balloon"  Blow up a few, then let them all go.  "Fourth of July"

If you tie a balloon loosely around your finger you can take your finger out and it will be untied.  This takes a little practice.

When you have a balloon blown up.  If you hold it and force your finger into the nozzle end, the balloon will shoot away.  This is just funny looking. You can chase after the balloon and let it escape. Try capturing this same balloon but it keeps flying away because you've put your finger into the nozzle and it pops away.

Get mad at the balloon (always funny). try and step on it.  Balloons won't pop if you step on them.  or sit on them.  Unless they are heavily inflated.

Then finally make something really simple.  A dog.

After all this build up, you don't have to make anything elaborate.  The audience will applaud because of the comedy.

I just love balloons.  Not the balloon line kind of gig.  Balloons are magical.  One minute you have a long colorful tube the next minute someone has a flower.  It's nifty.


No comments:

Post a Comment