Friday, April 3, 2015

How Blogging Changed My Life...

I started blogging because I wanted to work on a book.

I could have used a personal journal.  I could have typed on the computer.  But, I view myself as a public person.  In fact, I have a feeling that I'm always being watched, like I'm on the Truman Show.  I've always felt this.

I also figured doing a blog about children's entertainment would put me in a teaching or consulting position. As I created my vision of the blog, I looked at other blogs.  I saw lots of crap out there.

Here's the sin of the blog.  Quitting.  And there's lots of quitting out there.  It's easy to write 3 entries. Then apologize on the 4th for how long it's been since you wrote.  Try the 50th entry.  Or the 150th.  Continue coming up with topics when you're sure you've covered everything.

I've found I'll never run out of topics to write about.  I care deeply about the art of clowning.  I am passionate about the idea of children's entertainment being taken as a seriously.  Those of us that specialize in children's entertainment are good at what we do and do not consider our art form the forgotten step of the entertainment community.

I got disheartened in 2013.  I look back and I have very few entries.  I spent a ton of time linking this blog.  Submitting to specialty sites.  Not much happened.  I got 5 views a day and most of those views were from robots trolling the internet.  I was spinning my wheels.  No one was listening.  Why shout out when there are no ears?

But here's what happened.  My career is about to burst. I am the focus of a major news article about clowns.  The article profiles me, my feelings, this blog and my life.  Where the clown community is busy copying itself over and over till it becomes a faded Xerox.  I forged something new and was discovered.  I've put my whole heart into this thing.  I didn't see it paying off in this way.  I wanted to be a guy that did workshops with other clowns.

The reporter that has been studying me for three months, studied every part of this blog.  I've not only put my thoughts about how to pick clown shoes.  I've put my total passion into this.

I'm being discovered not by magic.  By perseverance.

My last entry was about a party that was not great, everything went wrong.   When things go badly, I get to be a clown.  Being funny, trying to control chaos that's what I strive for, the messier the better.  A clown in peril is funny.  A clown is trying to make the world work when it just won't, that's why clowns are so interesting.  

Of course, I don't like it when things go badly.  But who cares, it's funny to watch a clown deal with the mess and mayhem.  Kids poking at me with plastic magic wands, kids hitting my shoes, the birthday boy trying to hit me, getting in my things.

I got home after that show and was happy it was over, ready for my next show.  A better show.

I called my good friend Mike.  Funnybone the clown.  He told me to share the story with the reporter.  I did that and one better.  I shared it on here.  And I got to see the good side of the show.  The amazing part of the show.  Where I wanted everything to work, that's what made it really funny.  It was because it was not working.

One dream I hold onto is to be able to pick the shows I'd like to do.  The reason I'm so funny and so good at what I do, I've never allowed myself to choose. I always take what's offered.  I hear about other entertainers that will only do certain ages.  Only go to certain areas of town.  Sorry Nancy Reagan, I never say no.

I've done

Senior Centers
Alzheimers
Blind Children
Deaf Children
Inner City Gangs
Housing Projects
Kids with Cancer
Adults with Cancer
Battered Women's Shelters
East Los Angeles After the Rodney King Verdict

I would not choose to be in these places.  But the clown needs to be in these places.  The clown in a nice controlled environment is just a cute character.  A clown in uncomfort is funny.

And that's what I want to be.  Funny.

(yup that's me!  In trouble)

This blog has changed my life.  I realize I'm the court jester.  A lot of times I'm just doing this for a living.  At my best, I'm risking myself.  I get to see that here.

It's only taken 225 entries and a lot of discouragement.


No comments:

Post a Comment