Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Mr. Clown Mr. Clown, Can I Ask You a Few Questions?"

If you do public shows, it's pretty likely you will have a short interview, sometimes a long interview with the local paper.

I've done a lot of these. It's not that I'm tooting my own horn, it's just I do a lot of library shows and park and rec. departments. If they are good, they send out a press release. If these are small towns, they'll take pictures, sometimes ask a few questions. I'm pretty prepared for interviews, so I get bigger articles.

Keep in mind, reporters always have a bias and you are not chatting over a beer or a cup or coffee or in my current state...a diet coke.

The obvious questions will be; "So, kid's are afraid of clowns...how do you handle that?" "A lot of people are afraid of clowns..." etc. maybe even asking about John Wayne Gacy. (oh joy).

Watch politicians on tv. The complaint is they don't answer a question... it's because they're good! I'm dealing with dumb little comments about clowns being hated, I'm not going to answer that and give it any power. So I have sympathy on something much larger like your career!

You can guide any question you want. If I don't repeat back the question, they can't quote it, so I don't use a phrase, some kids are afraid...

I answer questions in this way; Kid's love me, when I walk in the room, you can see they're eyes light up, it's very fun to see. I don't want stuff about the fear of clowns in print. I have enough trouble with that dumb concept that clowns are weird, I don't want it in a paper.

I do answer honestly. Once we get past the loaded questions. I tell them all about my kids, wife, where I went to college. For me, I want it light hearted, this is a fluff piece, it's ok, it makes people smile, that's what I'm looking for.

You can also practice! I practiced with my old partner Woody. He retired from clowning and does local San Francisco history. He is interviewed all the time (because he's funny and likable on camera), he's the go to guy for local tv news, when they need to refer to an historical issue (making a building a landmark, instead of a Safeway).

He's the one that gave me the heads up on not repeating back the question. It's our tendency to say the question back, practice a bit so you can catch yourself. Again, if you don't say it, they can't print it.

If you want, I can send you a few questions, you practice answering them out-loud. Or ask a friend. The same questions people ask at shows or parties, will be asked. "How did you get started" "Is this all you do?"

With all that said, it's also quite fun to be interviewed, makes you feel like a big shot! And the reporters I've met are really nice. They are doing this kind of interview because they are nice.

I always have a point of view in my head as I'm asked questions. This is equivalent to an actor's backstory, you may not say it out-loud but it peppers your conversation. My point of view? I love clowning, I love seeing people laugh. If it's in the front of my brain, it's going to keep me from being cynical or sarcastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment