Friday, April 15, 2011

"Dealing With The Obvious..."

I once got a bad review on a workshop I was teaching because I reminded the group to pay attention to where they held a balloon while being photographed.

My point? I get enough jokes about the phallic shape of a balloon to last nine lifetimes, I don't want this in photos. So...hold the balloon sideways or behind my back. Don't hold a balloon between your legs.

Obvious? So obvious that I see it all the time when I'm working with other people.

So, I stand by this, pay attention to very small details. Acknowledge small details. Are you sweating? Make a joke "I'm hot!" (pose for picture)

This is what makes us professional, small details. In one of my very first blog entries, I wrote the difference between a $1000 magician and a $200 magician, the $1000 magician shines his shoes.

I want the legacy of the clown to go on forever. This is very important to me, so I pay attention to the way I pose. I also take a little time to pose the kids. If I'm in a big group, I have them all make a funny face at the camera. I usually do this after the regular "cheese" photo. I get the kids spontaneously laughing. It's always a better shot. That's what I want the clown to bring out, funny.

Little details. If it's a birthday party, I take the 2 minutes where I whisper in the birthday child's ear "thanks for inviting me! Happy Birthday" Just a detail but hopefully a special memory.

If a little girl is wearing a lot of pink on her clothes. I guess her favorite color is pink and make a big joke or a big deal out of "me tooooooo!" Little detail. To a little girl who loves pink, I'm the most magical person she's ever seen.

The first 10 years of being a clown are learning techniques, crowd control, the magic in a magic trick, comedy timing. The next 30 years are finding details and refining them forever.

When I was in Clown College, I didn't understand, because I was so young. The art of clowning is the forever exploration and looking at finer and finer details.

I was listening to Chris Rock the other day. He was talking about one missing word will ruin a joke. One! And that's from the greatest living stand up on the planet. He's still exploring and refining.

If Chris Rock is still working on this, I better keep looking as well.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I love reading how you really pay attention to the small things when you work. Because it is indeed the small things that makes the big differences. And those few extra thoughtful moments that transforms into life long happy memories. Something we all should be more attentive to.

    Happy weekend. :-)

    /Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Small things are what make our art better.

    ReplyDelete