Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Making a Joke of the Obvious"

I was hanging out with my friend Greg Frisbee...real name I promise, look him up, he's a very funny performer.

We were talking about jokes and comebacks and my process.

He needed jokes about sweating. So do I. I sweat a lot on stage, I can't help it, it's my fight or flight response, I sweat out of the forehead. I know a lot of performers do this.

So, ignore it? Or acknowledge it?

There was a great one man comedy piano show I saw a few years ago. It was funny, the guy could play piano like nobody's business plus he told jokes, would lay on the piano, it was great (I can't remember his name for the life of me though sorry). But the guy was sweating puddles.

I was 10 or more rows back and it was obvious, I think it made people a bit uncomfortable that he was working so hard for us.

If I could talk to him, I would say, start the show with a joke about sweating. for him, rain drops are falling on my head, change it to rain drops are falling from my head. And use that as a call back joke every so often when he stops and wipes his face off with a towel. It would get roars of laughter. I think we love to see each other being human.

This is the fun of being a clown. I'm balding and I have weird hair. I enter almost every show making some joke about my frizzy hair and lack on top. It's just what people are seeing, get it out there, it's funny and it keeps people in the show.

Coming up with a joke for sweating is also a good technical point. If I make a joke "I'm shvitzing" (a Yiddish word for sweat), it gets a mild laugh and there is a small break to wipe my forehead and keep people going.

In a show, you have to remember too, audiences need small breaks. A big mistake is to build build build and never let the audience have a release. It makes them tired. Even the great Robin Williams would slow things down, you have to.

Imagine you broke your arm, it was in a sling. You can pretend no one notices or you can make a joke...this is what happens when you climb trees and your way way in your 40s...

People think clowns hide. I believe in the complete opposite, I am completely laid bare, all my inner secrets all my hang ups are there for all to see.

7 comments:

  1. Great post Boswick! It's interesting, because I use this same concept in my classroom as a teacher. I really think it is easier to throw our "flaws" out there for all to see and let the audience know that you are aware of it. That way they don't get a chance to make fun of you- you've already done that for them. Hmmmm... now that I think about it, being a teacher isn't TOO different from being a clown. ;-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the clown is iconic is because he (or she) is reflective of society. The things a clown does you can use in any aspect of life.

    The things I write about are very very powerful. If you go into a classroom and say, "I'm bald" it opens a pandora's box with children.

    Let me know what grade you teach, I have a few reading games I've written for librarians. These might be too young for you but I'm happy to send them to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a classroom set up for next year yet, so I don't know quite yet what I will be teaching. I just finished my student teaching in 5th grade in November and got my teaching certificate. I've been subbing since in K-8. I will certainly let you know what I wind up with when I find a job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat! I'll cross my fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Can you cross your toes, too, just in case? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sitting here crossing my eyes!

    ReplyDelete