Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"What If You Threw a Show and No One Came?"

I wrote a show, publisezed it, rented a theatre, created a set, created lights and sound to go with the show.

And hardly anyone came.

Makes you wonder about the idea of being an artist. This is the time for arm chair quarter backs, it's the time for back seat drivers. Lots of folks give advice.

I've had this thought in my head that I could create a theatre piece for the really young. Something for them to laugh at, with their parents having fun as well.

I've tried this for a number of Christmas breaks, to do a show in a theatre and try and get audiences. I admire the nutcracker ballet, and the holiday symphony shows and the productions of A Christmas Carol. But these events are not directed at children. children love these things but they go in tow. I wanted to do something where the parents are in tow.

I write a lot about dealing with children, audience control, what makes them laugh, how much to charge. At the heart of this though, I have to ask, why do this in the first place?

And that's what we all have to grapple with. Why do this? It's certainly a calling. When I think of other things I can do or would want to do, nothing comes to mind. I can think of things to make some more money but it's always with the intention of doing something for my children (like go on vacation or pay for music lessons) so I can keep doing my art.

Something strange happened this year to that question. What happens if you do the best you can, and there's no one there to see it? What is a clown without an audience? Pretty much the definition of insanity.

Under everything I've always done, it's been the dream of doing something totally artistic, doing stage shows and video of my little funny world.

So, what if you work really hard. What if you spend a lot of money. Create something to best of your ability. And no one comes?

For me, I'll do it all again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment