Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"It's Natural For Kids To Be Shy..."

It's really funny that parents think that all kids should be less shy.

The thing is, kids that are on David Letterman are unusual...that's why they are on David Letterman. Most kids have a natural shyness, this is part of growing up.

We all have natural needs and defenses. I can't stand jewelry, I can hardly wear a watch. Yet, lots and lots of people love jewelry. Some people love to sit and read, others to be at bars or coffee houses and socialize. Some folks can't stand busses, because they hate being so close to others. Other people don't care one bit.

Children are just like this. But they are developing so they can't really put this into words. I've seen so many kids over the years that are laughing hysterically, I think they are having such a great time, I'll have them come up and help me with a trick. Suddenly they clam up.

They are having a great time, because it's more natural for them to be part of the audience laughing. That's who they are.

The way I work with children is knowing that everything they do is totally appropriate. If they are shy, this is who they are, if they are talkative, that's who they are. If they are creative, funny, like attention etc. That's what I work with because they are budding personalities. All these characteristics, I can bring out and have fun with. As we all age, we get layers and layers, it's just fun to work with the perfect little personality!

No comments:

Post a Comment