Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"Thoughts on Santa..."

What's amazing about being Santa, the look of pure wonder on people's faces. Yes, children are just enthralled with the magic but the adults, especially the older folks, have a wonderful glint in their eyes as I approach them. There is a smile in their eyes and I can see the child in there. I know that sounds a bit Miracle on 34th street but it's really something to see.


I mostly work in public. Over the holidays I work at the Hyatt Embarcadero in San Francisco every Saturday and Sunday through December. So, I see a cross section because the light display is open to everyone. The serious business men rushing to a meeting, the 80 year old married folks walking slowly across the lobby, the men with tattoo sleeves cutting through to get to Justin Herman Plaza. I get a glint of happiness from every one of them.


What I like about being Santa, bringing a magical character to life. Everyone has their own story regarding Santa. I've been a performer for so long I can read people and tell if they are social, or they work too much, or they are addicted to their cell phone, or they are the best dads in the world. If I know a little about them, I can bring their story to life, I incorporate what I see into their personal story. With children, I can bring up things like trains with boys, if I get a response, then talk a lot about the wonders of back hoes. With girls, the color pink is a good indicator of their personality. I can talk about princesses, clothes they like and their friends.


By profession, I've performed for children for 23 years. I know a lot about their development, their behavior and what will make them laugh. I can use all this knowledge I've garnered to make Santa very very real to them.


Mostly kids will sit in wonder on my lap and I can tell them a few stories or ask questions. This is very normal. They will answer questions about school and who their best friends are. Every 50th child will talk and talk and talk. They'll ask about elves and reindeer and how I know what they want and where is Rudolph. Sometimes they'll ask what kind of cookie I like. Oatmeal Cookies of course.


With kids that don't want to sit in my lap, I try and have one of the parents hold them and sit next to me with the child on the far arm. I'll mostly get the 2 year olds that don't want to sit in my lap. There is always a way. I'm pretty happy to recruit another parent to take a picture and I can stand with them in front of the Christmas tree and do a family shot. To get a good picture I come in from the side children are looking a different direction, so we can get a quick calm picture. The best way to get these kind of shots, just don't make a big deal about the photo. If the child is screaming, they calm for 2 seconds don't try and hand them off, it will never work. If the child is unhappy, just hold them and do a 3 or 4 person shot with Santa, it's equally cute. There's no "rule" a child has to be alone with Santa in a picture.


With children that are not sure. I say, I have a secret to tell them their parents can't hear. They slowly come up. I say they have to come a little closer because I'm going to whisper it. I can do this till I just gently lift them on my lap and whisper, Rudolph is on the roof of this building. I can do this because I know kids incredibly well, this one is pure experience.


Of course this is the luxury of working at the Hyatt. Company parties are pretty similar. I have time to do the magic.


I would also say, malls are just not the best place to get a picture. Nothing against them but as an adult, don't you hate waiting in line? Multiply that by a thousand and you know how a child feels when they get to the front of the line.


There are a lot of places to take pictures with Santa. I would check the mother's club links. Higher end places that advertise Santa for a short visit are likely the ones that will have a nicer display and more time for Santa to talk with the children. The nice thing too, you won't have to buy a photo package you may or may not want.


If your company is having Santa come in, encourage HR to splurge and go for a higher end Santa, it's well worth it. It's money well spent.


Christmas Eve is also very popular, I do a lot of house visits. That's a lot of fun, there are folks that do it year after year. It's not terribly expensive. If you were thinking of a private visit, I would either go with someone you've seen or use an agency to help you book it.


The toys this year. Lego lego lego. Lego has brilliantly marketed Star Wars Legos, Harry Potter Legos and Spiderman Legos. I can't fault that one, I like educational toys. Legos cover boys and girls, more boys a 70/30 split, girls definitely like Legos though. For girls, no surprise American Girl dolls. That's been a winner for years. Barbie of course, doll houses always big. Zu Zu pets, huge. Pillow pets, specifically the unicorn pillow pet, ugh boots. A lot of ipods, but I steer the kids away from ipods and Wii systems, that's a pretty expensive gift to promise. These are the name brands I hear a lot. But...


Bikes, roller blades, doll houses, stuffed animals, baby dolls, clothes a lot.


Despite what all the old codgers think, kids are the same as they were 50 years ago. Little girls like dolls, little boys like to build things. Not very pc of me but I'm the one hearing thousands of requests and I have no agenda, other than encouraging good behavior and I like toys that spur the imagination.


I get asked for kittens and puppies all the time. I can't promise a live animal unless the parents were planning on that one. (they'll whisper it in my ear or give me an obvious, "We're getting a dog this year" nod. But that's unusual). I just tell kids, my elves can't make living things, only toys, "Can you imagine my elves making puppies with a hammer and screwdriver?" They giggle at this. I offer them a nice stuffed kitten. Pretty simple.


The funny ones are cell phones. Around 8 years old they ask for phones a lot. The parents roll their eyes. I make a joke about monthly charges and they get it that's not happening!


I will get the kids asking for their dads to come home. For people that are sick to get better. I've had a little girl wanting her dad home from prison. I tell the kids, that person now has a special gift knowing you love them so much. They like to hear that, I've never had a follow up question after that, so they know they've been heard.



My philosophy of Santa is basically, Santa is the embodiment of pure love. Children 2 to 4 crave love in it's purest form. Older kids are more questioning but still know that someone is watching over them. Santa always knows they try to do the right thing, that's what makes them good girls and boys.


I do get handed letters to Santa. If it's not something the parents want to keep, I'll take it and carefully put it in my toy bag, showing the kids that's it's going to the North Pole. People are good at this. Let them kids draw a picture and write what they say.

No comments:

Post a Comment