Sunday, August 21, 2011

"Steve Carell, Another Great Clown!"

I've written a couple of times about Stephen Colbert and why he is currently my favorite clown. I'm adding Steve Carell to my favorites list.

Using "clown" to describe someone is pretty much a pejorative but in my life, I look at clowning as a craft, an art and a performing style with roots to the oldest of times.

I was watching, The Office the other day and was thinking why I enjoy the character of Michael Scott so much. Very similar to Stephen Colbert on this front.

I love the fact that these two buttoned down, perfectly groomed men are extreme physical characters. Colbert is the classic Auguste or Pantalone character. He is the all knowing bafoon. But he gets one over on the "master" over and over. It's fun to watch.

Steven Carell's character works in that they put him in charge. It's wonderfully clownish that the biggest dolt, runs the office. Michael Scott (the character) is much like Elmer Fudd, in that he is thinking he is very smart and muddled by the simplest of every day activities.

These characters are so true to life, yet stupidly extreme. This goes way beyond acting, Colbert and Carell have to create from a secret place of bafoonery. These are the true insides, exposed of these two lovable men. They work so well because they are true to the clowning art.

You don't have to wear a red nose to be a clown. These two are just a little too neat and put together. Just a little too assured of their own knowledge and abilities, just a little too over confident. It's a subtle art to go from actor to clown and not be dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment