Friday, August 19, 2011

"Can You Really Make a Living As a Clown?"

It's always a question if you can make a living as a children's performer, as a clown.

I'm not sure.

On one level, this is all I've done for years, 24 years actually. But what I've found lately, it's a tough living if you don't have a partner in crime (my wife, with a better job, health insurance, dental).

Most everyone I know that is a professional entertainer, are single. They are fun loving artist types and likely play a lot of video games.

The definition of making a living is a tough one. Some people would hate the way I live others would think I was a rich kid flitting through life.

I've recently come to the conclusion, I'm doing really well and this is as good as it gets. I'm pretty happy making children laugh. But it pays only so much, there is a limit with what I can charge.

I was watching my friend Pat once lecture at a clown conference about business and he said his competion is not other entertainment agencies but jumpy houses. I've always found that interesting, people will only pay so much for what I do, if I get out of their expectations, they can skip entertainment all together, children won't notice, they always have fun.

So, it's pretty neat to do what I do.

Making a living? Hmmmm yes...but you'll be clipping coupons!

No comments:

Post a Comment