Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Show That Was...

I'm not very good at tooting my own horn. Well a little.

But I have to say, my show each year lets me toot away.

That just sounded like a fart joke.  Which it sort of is.

toot.

Some of the things I am happy with about my show.  I ended up doing a 90 minute kids show.  That's really pretty remarkable for one person to keep the attention of an audience for that long.  Let alone have enough material.  Not only did I have enough material, I could have done more, there were routines I skipped.

Toot.

I found a new opening for my show which made me really happy.  I came running on with my clown shirt, bow tie, clown shoes and a robe.  I welcomed everyone and said it's been such a mad house with Christmas I knew I forgot something.  I took off the robe and I was in my giant boxers.

Trying to put on your pants in front of kids is just so funny.  I dropped my pants over and over.  I really liked that.  In the past, I have gone through a whole gyration of getting dressed.  This was just pants and underwear, that's what I wanted.

Toot

One thing that I do and do really well.  I interview kids.  It's a skill I've honed over the years.  How to get the kids warmed up then let them answer questions.  I brought along my sound system and used it with my microphone to let kids talk.  It was really funny.  When one kid said his dad sold Oxygen.  That was the best.  I was able to reference that for the rest of the show.  Because selling air is just funny.

Toot

I've always wanted to have a TV show, Kid's Say the Darndest Things.  But you know, not having a whole lot of luck selling shows.

The set looked great.  The theatre was beautiful and my sons did a great job helping me with the show.  (they run lights, run the light board, go through the light cues with me, run box office, move my props)

Toot

I broke even.  I made something like $45.  My sons each made a few hundred each.  I would have to hire someone anyway.  I'm glad they make money.

Toot

Here are the things that kill me.  Like other years, I offer my show as a fundraiser to schools.  I only had 7 people take advantage of that.  It irritates me.

I had a hard time this year getting audience.  The longer I'm a clown, the less people want to see me.  I did the press release.  Just hard to get people out.

It's fun to do what I do.  And I'm going to say, I'm really good at it.  I also realized, if I could narrow down what I want to be doing.  It's theatre shows with families laughing.  I would love to work on this show for 5 shows a week for a month and get the timing down and how to get more laughs.

I now have a fear that one day I'm going to find my success and I'm going to be too old to fall off of a chair.

tooooooot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment