Friday, January 8, 2016

Is this the end...

What a silly life I've had...

Performing, making people laugh, waiting waiting for the phone to ring.  For Spielberg to call.  He never has.

Apparently I'm old.  I don't feel old.  I look in the mirror, I'm not happy with what I see but it just looks like me.

I'm still struggling.  I'm creating and I'm, sort of, famous and yet. I can't make a go.

I've been repairing phones for a big chunk of last year.  I'm not very good at it.  I sometimes mess things up.  Tiny screws, bad eyes.

It's extra money.  It's on my schedule.

I was turned down yesterday for a loan, the second time this has happened.  This is a really easy loan to get, it's against my house.  But I owe far too much money and make very little.  We survive because of my wife.

I was explaining to my son my economy the other day.  I charged more and made more money in 1999, than I do now.  I was charging around $300 for one of my shows and mostly getting it.  I was also pretty busy.  People liked clowns.

I'm now mostly getting around $225 to $250 for a show.  The going rate has dropped.  And I'm defending clowns all the time now.

I have a lot of skills as a performer, a teacher. I have huge knowledge of children't behavior, what makes them laugh.  I can look at people's acts and make their act twice as funny.

I have a whole lot of knowledge that's worth very little money.

Here's the reality of being a children's entertainer.  It's a really tough way to make a living.

If I were advising someone, I would say, part time.  It's really fun but don't do try and make a living.

And here's the rub.  You can only become good when you put everything on the line. When you put everything on the line, you get hit by traffic.

Here's the predictable part.  I'll keep doing what I do, because it's so fun.  I'll keep coming up just short of my bills.  For the next little bit, no movies, no eating out, no car washes, no new phones.  I'll just keep clowning.  Because that's what I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment