Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Problem With Santa...

I have mixed feelings about being Santa.

I bring a wealth of performing experience to being Santa.  I bring him to life.  I have removed sarcasm, cynicism from my diet.

When I'm Santa.

You would not believe it that underneath all of this is Boswick the clown.

Because I've been a performer for so long. I can read situations, body language.  I can improvise, I can make people laugh.

Mostly it's a lot of fun.

I did one event for a senior center this year.  I wanted to cry when I looked around and saw what I was bringing.  I'm not very present to what I bring, as a performer.  I'm working so hard to do comedy and stay focused.  With Santa, I realized, I am covered by beard, I can look around and see what's happening.

Some seniors were crying.  Not our of sadness but memory.  I could feel it.  They were reliving the may Christmases they had with their husbands, their children.  And here they were.  Who imagines themselves in assisted living one day.

There really is a a magic to Santa.  To make a senior smile like they are 7 years old is really something.

On the other side...I see families in stress.

Mostly I see families at birthday parties most of the year.  People are so happy at their child's party.

At Christmas, people are snippy, sometimes angry, they drink too much.

I don't like this side.  As a person, I really don't like conflict, I don't like families fighting.  When I was young, there was a lot of fighting.  When my parents divorced, it was quiet.  Very quiet.

I get sent out a lot as a prop.  Companies want Santa, so you interact for hours at a time.  It's pretty limiting.  On the other side you visit people that time forgets.  Seniors, sick children, poor children.

And middle class.  And incredibly wealthy.

The highs and lows.

My favorite was the last.  All adults, men married to men, women married to women and just happy to be together.  We sang, I read the night before Christmas and handed out presents.  Families are fun. Families that are created are super special.  No fighting.  Just love.

And two funny looking dogs.

It was the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment