Saturday, January 22, 2011

"The Beginner's Mind..."

Today, I'm taking some workshops...

This is hard for me because I feel like I should be the one teaching, I should get my "respect" and be an invited guest. Some of the teachers have even taken classes from me.

Then I look at myself and say "BS" Who am I but a guy just trying to make a living the best I can. My hope is to learn new things as long as I'm able.

Usually, I don't take classes because they fall when I'm working. And if I chose which classes to take, I tend toward esoteric stuff like character development, how to breathe onstage, the roll of the volunteer in your show.

I'm going today, because I want to learn some new balloons! I'm going because you never know what you'll learn and it's fun to be part of a group.

I think we work so hard for prestige that it puts us in a corner. I had to wake up a 4 in the morning, saying. "I need to take some classes, so I can be better at birthday parties. I need to take classes so I can create some new routines"

I've been on this kick for years to not confuse skill with clowning. that is my ability to juggle or make balloons as being a clown. Clowning is an entirely separate entity. What I've recently forgot, skills are really fun for the audience.

In Aikido (my martial art), we talk often of the beginner's mind. I've been shut down by many people over the years as I try my magic tricks or gags. My beginner's mind, let that stuff go, I am like a 7 year old around magicians. I can do quite a few things but I don't think like a magician, I just love it, I love seeing it, i love being shown how to do it, I don't even mind bringing home a bag full of tricks that end up sitting in a drawer because I bought things that weren't right for me.

It's just neat to be around this. It's a pretty exciting day for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment