Monday, February 16, 2015

Super Dream...

I dream.

I dream vividly.

I nearly always remember my dreams.  Always have.

I've been super confronted with my life and career lately.  Am I any good at this clown thing?  Am I deserving of the praise I receive?

No.

I'm being interviewed soon by a reporter from a major publication.  I'm confronted.  He's asking me a lot of questions I don't feel worthy.  I can name 5 guys that are more interesting than me.

But I'm the one he's interested in.  I don't understand.  The more questions he asks, the more I feel like a failure as an artist.  Even that name "artist" makes me bristle.  I'm no more of an artist than the guy delivering mail.  I am a guy with a job.  A job that I can't escape.

Last night, I had a dream.  I was a correspondent on the Jon Stewart show.  A show I adore, watch nightly.  The combination of Jon Stewart leaving and me feeling like dung about my own talents must have caused my night.

I had a dream I was a correspondent on the Daly Show as a clown.  It made so much sense.  I did the set up interviews as "Nasty Ass the Clown"  my alter ego clown character.  I did the desk interview with Jon as Nasty Ass and made fun of politics.

My segments were funny and hard hitting.  I woke in the middle of the dream and was confused for a second why I was in bed.  It felt so real, like I shouldn't be here.  I'm supposed to be in New York.

I tried to get back to sleep so I could be on the show again.

Instead. I dreamt of my son going to college, my car breaking, my visa bill.  Things that I'm worried about right now.  I like the first dream way more.

I often wonder what my one dream would be.  If I could have anything?  For one REM cycle I was perfectly at home.  Fulfilled as an artist.


No comments:

Post a Comment