Thursday, April 12, 2012

One More Time...KIDS ARE NOT AFRAID OF CLOWNS!

I got an email the other day asking if I would share a story another blog posted about children and how they are scared of clowns.

I responded, no thanks, with some explanation.

It's just frustrating. Kids are not afraid of clowns. Kids are afraid of bad performers. No one likes bad performers, it's why it's called bombing and not pillow fighting.

I see this over and over all the theories from people that don't know anything about clowning. Here's an idea, maybe before you write something, you could do a slight bit of research and talk to a few professionals???

I think the writer that contacted me had good intentions, they seemed to like clowns, but ended up discussing all the usual about make up. BS. I don't swear, but BS. so that's the closest I'll come but this makes me want to swear.

In my community, there are cultures, yes entire cultures that absolutely love clowns. From little little ones to the grandpas. The Latino community loves clowns. There are a bunch of working clowns in The San Francisco Bay Area that are native Spanish speakers and make their living in this market. When I go into stores in the Mission District of San Francisco, item after item uses a clown on their box to promote their product. I see culture after culture and guess what, people are people, children love clowns, that's why clowns exist.

It's this insesant background conversation. In Mexico, everyone loves clowns. In America we talk and talk and talk about the fear until it becomes real for people. If 3 year olds in Peru, Mexico, Brazil, El Salvidor love clowns, 3 year olds in America love clowns as well. It's the parents telling kids here, don't worry about him...or that's just a man dressed up...or don't be afraid. Um...you think saying to a little child, don't be afraid, might think their's something to be afraid of? duh everyone!

Ok, so it is what it is. This is the life I've chosen, fighting the system. What I can do though, is insist on excellence. Put out a clear character and children will respond. Put out a false character, that's a copy of a copy of a copy and the clown character is muddy and odd. Focus on character. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, ask me for help. If you don't want to do that, take a class, take an acting class, take improvisation.

"Kids are afraid of clowns" Tell that to the 10,000 plus children I saw last year, most of them hugging my legs begging me to never leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment