Thursday, April 26, 2012

Even Your Best Friends Don’t Get It...


Over the years I’ve been drawn to teaching, at least the thought of teaching.  I like teaching a lot, I’ve done workshops and it feels like my next creative adventure.

Teaching is my next step in the learning process.  In order to teach, I’m going to have to figure out so many things I do by instinct, have learned in classes, read about or put together from all those areas combined. 

I don’t share my interest in teaching, except on this blog.  It feels a little awkward that my performing life is beginning to close.  Teaching feels like I’m getting old, I’m becoming that old professor with suede elbow patches and wire frame glasses. 

Two days ago I was talking about teaching to a good friend.  He said, “How many teachers can you name that do kid’s parties?”.  

It was pretty insulting.  

I’ve been thinking a lot about that statement over the last few days.  I think as a performer, I’m an idiot for doing kids parties, kids shows in general, I don’t make much money, it’s a much harder way to get famous and people look down on it, e.g. my friend the big time magician.  

On the other hand, what is more important than a family celebration focused on a child?  The only place in this world  where enemies and friends are in agreement...children.  Children have to be protected, loved, nurtured and fed properly.   

There is no audience that enjoys entertainment more than a children’s audience.  
I know what the world thinks of what I do for a living and it makes me scratch my head, I think it’s pretty important.  But when a friend says it, it makes me want to scream into my pillow at night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment