Monday, April 30, 2012

Funny Things You Can Do With Balloons...

Balloons are the best thing in the world to a kid.  Heck, to an adult.

I deal with balloons so much, I forget how special they are, I forget people don't see them much.

The first time someone showed me how to make a balloon animal, I thought it was the neatest thing in all creation.  I couldn't believe that I knew how to do something so cool.  I showed everyone my 3 balloons.

You can get huge laughs by playing into the amazement people have with balloons.  One of my biggest laugh getters is just blowing up a balloon and forgetting to tie it.  With slight variation, I blow up a balloon and forget to tie it 10 or 12 times in a row.  Each laugh bigger and bigger.

The key to a repetitive routine is slight variation.  I blow it up just a little and let it go.  I blow it up half way and try and tie it but it's too late.  I blow it up all the way and can't get it tied.  I blow it up all the way but this time very quickly.  It's all the same.  The comedy is not realizing I'm doing the same thing because I think I'm trying it in a different way.  It's the same as Charlie Chaplin trying to eat different things, then eating his shoe.

Then the knots.  Trying to tie the balloon before I blow it up.  Tying the balloon like a pretzel and being very pleased with myself for being so smart, then letting it go.  Tying it around my finger and then I can't get it off, like it's a booger.  Then tying it on the other finger...

If you want bigger laughs, the simpler the better.  The simplicity of blowing up and tying a balloon is a comedy gem.  Every kid has blown up a balloon, or tried.  A skinny balloon is unusual, that's the fun.

Like all routines,  it's about character.  A routine forgetting how to tie a balloon can be just frustrating and stupid if it feels false to an audience.  If it's in your character, you can be incredibly proud each time you figure out a new way of blowing or tying a balloon.  You can be frustrated and mad at the balloon or mad at yourself.  You can blame the way your standing and try moving to a new position figuring that will cure the problem.  You can blame the sun for getting in your eyes and that's the problem.  You can pick a person in the room and blame them for putting a voodoo curse on you.

I inflate balloons by mouth.  It's mostly because that's how I learned, so my routines are funny to my character because I can try and blow them up.

Equally as funny, maybe more funny, trying to get the balloon nozzle onto the pump.  You can miss, you can keep putting the balloon on there, till the entire balloon is stuffed onto the pump, you can put the balloon on the pump and not hold on so it gets pushed off.  Blow up the balloon, then it will deflate.

Repetition is fun and funny to a child.  Repeat the mistake in a slightly different way, so it doesn't get annoying and it's a killer routine.

At the end of all this, make a very simple balloon.  Be proud of it, like it's the greatest thing in the world and you will get a big round of applause.  Doing a fancy balloon is too much of a leap after not being able to tie a balloon.

Want to brainstorm with me?  Just leave a comment with your routine, I'd love to figure out how to help you build the comedy.  

5 comments:

  1. Boswick,
    I applaud the simplicity in your bit. Remembering that kids are simple creatures and easily distractd is key. Luckily I have two little ones and they are a invaluable focus group that I don't take lightly. The kids i play for enjoy the pom pom blowing gag on a balloon but i get one out of five that are scared to try it. I'd like to work on that or capitalize on it. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to work on that with you!

    Let's begin an email conversation. david@boswick.net

    I want to share the high points of our conversation. Most of all, I want to respect your privacy and creative growth.

    Please email soon. I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to ask questions or need help with your routine or want jokes. Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the 'pom pom blowing gag'???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure. That was sent by "balloonatic" I think it's when you make a poodle and the kids blow on the tail and it pops up into a poodle tale. If that's it, that's a nice gag. I'll have to do a google search. They never followed through with another question, so I don't know. It looks like I responded to the general question, "I'd like to work on that, what do you think?"

    ReplyDelete