Monday, April 16, 2012

"I like the sameness of being a clown..."

For all the improvisation, for all the unexpected I live with, I just realized, I love routine.

I'm as baffled as anyone.

My costume is always the same. I rotate shirts, because they stink fast but always the exact same look. I feel very strongly about always maintaining my look.

My show is routined, I have tons of side comments, that's the stand up comedian in me but even the side comment stuff has a place within the show.

It's very funny for me to be writing about this because I've always thought I had an unpredictable life, I didn't like routine, I didn't want to be like everyone else. My favorite things are done by routine. My clowning is decided for me. I have always liked Aikido for the routine of it. The classes have set times, attacks and defenses are repetative. My kids and their school, getting them there, picking them up...

I'm the man with the grey flannel suit...except mine has colored spots all over it.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think there's anything wrong with this... it makes perfect sense! Performing is perfecting. Even improvisation takes practice and a strong foundational character.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I just discovered your blog today - can't wait to dig in and read a little more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry,

    My thoughts are all over the place as you'll find. This was just a funny thing I discovered about myself the other day. I am totally allergic to sameness, a job.

    Then I realized, I get up the same time, I dress very similarlly each day, my show is always different yet almost always the same. Children crave the familiar. Apparently so do I.

    If you can tell me a bit about yourself, or if you have performer curiosities, please please ask away. david@boswick.net Giving me a topic is way more fun for me. I would rather write about something someone is interested in.

    I started this blog in the hopes that I could transition into teaching.

    ReplyDelete