Sunday, September 4, 2011

"Waiting Around with Butterflies in My Tummy..."

It's a slow weekend for me. It's a 3 day weekend, which almost always means it will be slow.

I don't know a lot of people that go away for the long weekend but I assume lots of people do, I think that's why it's always slow; people assuming other folks are going away, so why plan an event?

I only have one gig this week, which makes me totally antsy. I need to work, like a shark needs to swim, I crave the stage. When I'm not working my mind goes to ugly places, like, you'll never work again. Or It's been a good run bub.

Luckily I have a nice little gig this afternoon. It's a birthday for a 3 year old young man. I'm happy to be there, I'm happy to make some money and happy to be a clown.

But the less gigs on my calendar, the more and more intense it gets. For a guy that's done thousand and thousands of shows, each time I go, I feel like it's the first time out, the first time in make up the first time on stage. I get nervous.

And this effects my day. My show today is at 4, which really messes me up, because I could totally do a household project, I could paint the kitchen. I could take my kids bowling, watch a movie, come back and go do my show. But I sort of put around doing small things, like make the bed, do some dishes, mail a letter.

Nervousness makes me quite useless.

The nice thing when I have too many shows in one day or one week, I get super productive. I suddenly fit in all sorts of big projects. I edit videos, I repaire stuff around the house, take the car in for repair.

So, today, I'll force myself to get a bit of exercise, maybe even let myself off the hook a bit and just enjoy the puttering around...

No comments:

Post a Comment