Saturday, September 24, 2011

"Get Things Done Right Away. Get Them Off Your Plate."

When I first began, in those early days before internet, voice mail and cell phones, I used to use a thing called the mail. People would find my name in an ad in one of the Parent’s Magazines that are free at the children’s shoe stores and give me a call. Often these would be corporate jobs.

The strangest comment, (and I still find it strange), “thanks for calling me back, you are the only one that’s returned my call”.

What an odd world, where someone has to thank you for calling them back. I mean they are the ones with the cash, they are the ones allowing us to do our craft.

I used to offer to send a picture and a description. I’m not very organized and would scramble around writing things up and trying to remember where I put the little stack of photos I had. I would put it in that afternoon’s mail. Sometimes, I missed the mail, but mostly I tried to get it out before the end of the day.

Then I would get hired. Often, I was the only one that sent anything back to the client. Again, what an odd world where you get hired because you are the only one together enough to mail a letter.

I don’t really like that reason but I’ll take it. I would much rather be hired because I’m the funniest or I have the best resume. In the end, who cares how you get the work as long as you do a good job.

It’s just impolite to not return a call. It’s impolite to not send a letter if you’ve said you would. I’m certainly amazed by how many people don’t return my calls and emails but usually, I’m the one looking for the work they are the ones hiring, so I can’t do much.

I’m always checking myself on this one. I often don’t feel like sending a confirmation or returning a call. The biggest pay off I get, I don’t have to worry and fret, because it’s done.

If I get a call, I return it, even if I don’t feel like it. It’s just so much easier. Bam, it’s done, I can erase the voice mail message. No more mental energy.

This is an area of my life where, I’m pretty good. I don’t put myself above anyone here, people tell me I’m not much of a procrastinator. It’s the total opposite. I know that if I don’t get to something that minute, it will sit and become a “thing” in my life. I hate having “things” in my life. I procrastinate about many many things in my life. I just know myself.

I have a number of projects I am not dealing with. And they bother me! If I don’t start on it right away, it will sit and sit and sit, I’ll see them on my computer desktop and my actual desktop feeling guilty.

Work on having a nice empty plate. Your business will increase and you will look like the most responsible clown in the world. Return your calls within the hour and mail or email even faster. My promise. Your bookings will go up, your anxiety level will go down.

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I own a landscape maintenance company. I can't tell you the number of jobs we've gotten because we are the ones who showed up for the estimate when no one else did. Funny world we live in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. All of this just goes back to being polite. Just do what you say you are going to.

    The nice thing, if I return a call or email, or mail a letter right away. I am done, it's like emptying the garbage. No suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree Boswick. Having the weight off my shoulders is nice. I like knowing I've fulfilled my obligations.

    ReplyDelete