Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Long Walk...Again...

I went to see the kids at Family House.  Kids with cancer, parents living in a room across the street from UC Medical Center.  It's close to my house.

I got lazy this year...I drove.

I drove two goddamn blocks.  I'm the worst human on earth.  Maybe 2nd, after the guy that leads Isis.

It always feels so weird to carry all my stuff, I've got clown shoes on, my top hat on my head,  all my stuff in each arm, people on the street avoiding eye contact and I arrive all sweaty.  So leave me the  hell alone.

I found parking right across the street.  Came home and found parking right next to my house.  If you knew my neighborhood, you'd realize I used up all my Karma points on two parking spots.  I better cross the street very carefully from now on.

This year I realized how many times I say "dead"  "sick" "dying" in my show.  As part of my normal show I pretend that my juggling club died.  I pull out a ghost and pretend to be scared by it, I barf on the kids.

The audience has cancer.  Well a lot of the audience.  Some of the volunteers bring their own kids, those kids are just nuts, they don't care why they're there.  They like the pies and the clown.

The kids laugh because, a clown barfing on you is just plain funny.

I'm taking these folks away on a comedy journey.  So each time I came to a part of the show where I would say "Hey, I'm dying up here"  or "You're sick?  Oh you said six"  I changed the joke.

I don't know what it is about these cancer shows.  But I always kill.  In a good way.

This year I visited a girl that didn't come to the show, she was in her room watching TV. The mom asked me in broken English to come visit her daughter Claudia.

I had met Claudia when I arrived at the front door.  The family had come by cab.  I had Claudia laughing the minute she saw me.

My skill as a comedian,  I'm willing to go anywhere anytime.  I am agressive with my clowning, I don't ever wait for permission, I attack.  It worked really well with Claudia.  I saw the cab and started going for it.  Claudia had a mask on her face, she's in pajamas, she had no hair, she was in a wheelchair and 16 years old.  I gave no mercy and had her laughing like crazy.

I found out she was in the hospital the night before getting a bone marrow transplant.  The bone marrow came from her little sister.  Oy.

People act like I'm sort of saintly person for doing this.  I'm not.

This doesn't make me feel like a good person.  I'm just good at my job.  It was just another gig to me.  But I'm glad I got to meet Claudia.  I'm glad I could make her laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment