Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Types of Make-Up

Sherry Wrote:

Hi Boswick! What can u advise about make-up? How can u keep it from cracking out around the mouth & eyes? I'm talking about theatrical grease based make-up that requires powder to set. Is there better types of makeup that wears as well as grease makeup? I have an Auguste clown & soon a lite Auguste character clown...wanna write about the difference btwn the two? It would probably help in my developing one from the other....Thx!!


I've used a lot of make-up in my life.  I've been in make-up nearly half the days of my adult life.  

When my older son was young and my wife was getting ready for work one day, he said "what are you doing?  women don't wear make-up".  

I don't use water based make up.  I was trained with grease paint.  The few times I've tried water based make up, I just sweat it off.  

Make-up brands are a personal choice.  I use Krylon.  Not for a strong reason but the Krylon company happens to be headquartered in San Francisco, so I just run into the store for supplies.  

I don't like the clown white that Krylon makes, too thin for my taste.  I like the Mehron. It's the consistency of cream cheese, very thick but that's what I like.  I don't use clown white much anymore. 

I'm not a water based make up fan.  I like the richer look of the oil based make ups.  I can also splash water on my make up, after powdering to make it shine.  It lasts all day.  It's tougher to take off but that doesn't bother me that much.  I use the special stuff from Krylon that makes the oil based make up water soluble, then I wash it off in the shower.  I used to just use baby oil and wash it with baby shampoo.  

The cracking around your eyes probably comes from a skin reaction to the brand you are using.  I would first try switching brands.  

The light Auguste is using a light make up as a base. You don't have to wear the orange or pinkish base as an Auguste clown.  You can wear a base make up close to your skin tone.  

I like the smoothness of this look.  I hate it when I see men not wear a base, it just looks half done and sloppy to me.  I don't want to see the shaving area.  Even if you do a tramp, I think it should be covered and added in as a stylized look.  I think women should also wear a base.  Women's faces have a smoother skin tone but still, it's a nicer style to have the whole look even.  

I think using the skin tone closer to your own natural skin is a gentler clown.  I think it's a little nicer for the children to come close to you.  The more orange base looks stronger from a distance but is not as soft up close.  

Clown make-up is very personal.  Clown make-up is not about hiding, it's about emphasizing features.  


2 comments:

  1. I agree totally....the makeup choices are very personal & I especially agree about the closer to ur natural skin tone the better....
    I was told when I was training in a clown alley that we should use pink or orange base for Auguste face for a more animated/cartoon effective....but I since discovered it isn't as kid friendly & I get more acceptance from the 2-3 yrs old when they approach. I'm glad you addressed the sloppy vs. proper way to apply makeup too....I think it helps sell you also.....people appreciate quality.
    What was the name of the Krylon product that you use to remove grease makeup? I use baby shampoo too but it still dries my skin out too much....especially if I'm in clown 3-4 days in a row.
    Thx for all your help! I've sent ur blog link to several others that are interested in clowning too, so maybe they will be asking questions too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's a "right way" of doing these things. You can break all the rules I just said.

    I'm just saying, I think for your purpose, I gave my thoughts. The make up remover I use is called Hydra oil.

    I think baby shampoo is very drying on the skin. It also might depend on the weather.

    ReplyDelete