Thursday, January 31, 2013

Is Performer Insurance Important?


Hi David!
Why the need for this type insurance?
Who do recommend for entertainer's liability insurance?
How much coverage?
Is it cheaper to join COAI or Clowns of America membership to get the best bang for the buck?

You can always buy an insurance policy when you need it.  The events that require insurance, usually will hire you a while ahead of time, giving you time to get your policy. 

I don't think insurance is necessary.  I've never heard of anyone ever using their insurance.  But it's nice to have, makes me feel legitimate. That's not a bad reason to have it.  OR you have a client requiring a policy.

I carry insurance because I'm asked for it.  If you work in schools and libraries it might come up you are asked for your insurance.  But it's not consistent.  Some ask, some don't. 

These places are government, so they often cover you on their own insurance. 

I use Specialty Insurance
http://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/

This is a regular insurance agency that became somewhat specialized in insurance for performers.  They cover clowns, jugglers, santa, fire eaters, dancers and cover agents that hire lots of performers. 


The other source is through Clown's of America.  I believe they are both about the same price.  I orginally chose Specialty Insurance because I would have to join COAI in order to qualify.  So, this was simply cheaper.  If you're a member of COAI, it might be a better deal for you.  


I doubt there is much difference between policies. 


Venues require a 2 to 3 million dollar liability coverage.  It's nothing personal that's just a standard a school a hotel or a library requires from their insurance.  These insurance policies are set up to meet the minimum standards. 


I pay about $225 a year.  


My opinion, I wouldn't get insurance until it's required.  You are covered by homeowners, car, whomever hires you, they will have insurance.  The odds of needing the insurance are slim.  


When you need it, you can buy it.  I sort of put it in the category of buying a business liscence.  You don't really need it, until you are working full time and have to for tax purposes.  I was required to get a business license, I was required to get insurance after a while. 


Be aware, just having the policy is not the final step.  The venue will require you put their name on your insurance.  You will have to email the insurance to put your client's name on there.  



No comments:

Post a Comment