Thursday, March 22, 2012

Name Tags...

My best friend the name tag.

On an episode of Seinfeld someone ran for mayor on the platform that everyone should wear a name tag. In that episode, he lost the election but won me over. The idea of name tags for everyone has been in my head for 20 years.

For birthday parties, I suggest to parents use name tags for the children, asking “what’s your name?” over and over puts an impedance between the children and myself. As a children’s entertainer, I’m constantly thinking of ways to get my audience closer to me, i.e. participate more.

Children very seldom pick up on how I know their name, they just accept it. This eliminates lots of warm up, we are instantly old friends.

I also suggest name tags to parents because it’s likely parents know a number of names from school, play-dates etc. But does dad or grandma know all these kids? Doubtful.

Of course in my case, I did the day to day care, play-dates, work in the preschool, so it was my wife that didn’t know. I’m super dad!

Names with faces are tough, why bother? Give yourself a break, very very few people are good with names, in fact, it’s abnormal to be good with names and faces. The people that really good with names and faces go into careers like college admissions, high level sales, political advisors, casting agents. Very specialized positions, because it’s an unusual talent!

One of my goals as a clown is to be magical, the children put me in the same category as Santa and Mickey Mouse. That’s a big trust. Knowing their names gives me another magical edge.

For anyone that works with children, substitute teachers, teachers, PTA parents, clowns. You can create an instant rapport with children, simply by calling them by name. The name tag, a very powerful tool!

No comments:

Post a Comment