Friday, February 10, 2012

"Getting Kids To Laugh Harder"

"Getting Kids To Laugh Harder"

As a clown, there is a certain expectation that you're funny.

I would say this is the biggest problem when I watch newer or not very good clowns. Fundamentally, clowns are not cute or acrobatic or great jugglers, clowns are just funny.

And of course clowns are cute, acrobatic, whatever. But realize a child sees you and automatically laughs. If you start off with that assumption, laughs get bigger and bigger because you can mess with that assumption.

I see clowns walk in, casually, like they're party goers and get permission to start. My question is why? You're a clown, the person hiring you will find you. Go, nuts. I think it's confusing to a child when they see a clown discussing with another adult.

Your character is very specific as a clown. You should know how you walk, talk. Are you forgetful? Or know everything?

You can make kids laugh like crazy if you get mad at an inanimate object. You can get children to laugh like crazy by repeating something that made them laugh earlier, simply do it again. Sometimes things happen by accident, if you get a laugh do it again.

I'm mostly free to answer questions. If you've got a spot in your show that is not killing, send me a note, I'll try and help. Even if you're not a clown but work with children, I can give you tricks to get kids attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment