Thursday, November 17, 2011

"You Can Get an Entertainer to Do Anything!”

People that do entertainment, are insecure little children. I can say that because I am an insecure child.

I have taken the stupidest jobs that do nothing for my bank account or career, because I heard, something like “we love you, my children always talk about you...” I’ve given discounts, I’ve done things for free, I’ve driven and driven driven. Because they love me, they really love me!

I am such an insecure wreck, I need to hear how wonderful I am.

The thing is, it’s not just me. All performers will do this, all performers need love more than money.

I often am in a position of being event planner for a company and have the chance to hire other entertainers. Because I chose to call them and they will lower their price for me, practically offer to wash my car because I’m calling them.

I booked a large event last year. I put together a crew of about 15 performers. It was amazing how many people just begged and were so happy, I called. I am just happy to hire the best I can, I was being paid to put this thing together, because of my knowledge, you don’t have to lick my shoe.

On the other side of this. I do have people chew me out, because I should do them a favor. then demand I give discounts. I’m talking customers here. It’s funny because it’s so easy to get discounts, this tactic makes an unhappy relationship. I often discount shows because I need to work and compare the bird in the hand vs. maybe I’ll book something, maybe I won’t. I usually have to go with the security. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If people are nice about it, I don’t have that crusty feeling in my mouth.

The funny part, if they said something like, we really like you but that’s a lot more than we can afford, can you discount a bit? I’d work it out and be happy to be there. People are funny.

It’s a lesson in life. You can get a lot of good things given to you if you approach it from the person you are talking to is the best at their job.

So, if you need to totally take advantage of a creative person. Just compliment their hair, skin teeth and talent. They’ll do anything for you. Just be nice about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment