Wednesday, November 23, 2011

“The Most Hated of Men...”

I have to say, it does get to me...the clown hatred the pretend clown phobia. Yes, pretend, it exists and I’ve seen it if someone really has a fear of clowns, you can tell it’s on the level of fear of spiders it’s pretty extreme. The people that say they have it are just buying into this lazy perception.

I put up a good front and laugh it off but I am honestly confused, hurt and disappointed, about this world I’m trying to make a funnier place.

Here’s tmy mistake. Don’t go on youtube, don’t go on yelp, don’t read discussions when you search clowns. I made that mistake.

but I’ve been a bit vulnerable this week. When really great things happen to me, I get a bit nervous and uncomfortable. If get a lot of applause, I am looking for the other shoe to fall. Underneath my bravado, I’m scared of not being liked.

Here are some good things this week...

I was mentioned in the New York Times in the Sunday magazine. That’s terribly cool. I mean, it’s the NY Times! A reporter asked for a quote about a fetish thing with clowns, there are stripper clowns apparently in the burlesque world.

I’m not in the burlesque world, if I have a choice, I’m asleep around 10:30, up at 6.

A reporter for the NY Times! asked me for a quote about these strippers. I said, I was probably not the right guy to go to, I really don’t care that much. But I said, if kids see this, start saving for therapy now. I’m protective of kids but I can’t imagine you’d find a kid anywhere near a stripper place anyway. It’s drinking, it’s late at night, the filters are built in. You’re not going to find kids around a bar.

I also had some big time love and nice emails about one of my shows for Family House a charity I have taken on for kids with cancer.

I’ve been promoting my annual holiday show like crazy, I’ve been busy with shows, I’m writing a lot and I’m not broke right now.

To me, a recipe for disaster. Too many good things at once.

I was looking on Yelp and saw a guy wanted a recommendation for a clown for his child’s birthday. The thread about, how children hate clowns and clowns are scary etc etc hurts me to the core. I had an annoying teenager make a big deal the other day of avoiding me as I was going into a little girls house (this happens a lot with teenagers, they are dramatic), I had a fellow say “clown’s are scary” as I got out of my car to go to a corporate event and now Yelp.

it’s tiring being the most hated person on the planet. Yet, all I live for is audience love. It’s a weird feeling.

It’s a confusing feeling. I am one of the most beloved characters in the lives of the kids I see. I should say, the adults as well, the most common compliment I get is “I think I laughed more than the kids”

Yet, there is this lazy joke floating around that somehow becomes true to people, clowns are scary, don’t get your kids near clowns.

I often don’t think I’m strong enough to take on this battle.

Oy...it’s a living.

4 comments:

  1. Be strong Boswick. Everyone has a group who hates them. You bring joy to this world. Those who pretend fear just need something to do with their time! Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry! I just write what's going on for me from day to day. Sometimes I think too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Boswick! Coulrophobia is waaay blown out. And most ppl arent coulrophobes, they're pathological liars who want to fit in! Clown hate is HIP, and thats all ppl wanna be. Solidarity, Boswick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Daniel, I didn't notice your post. It's annoying isn't it? I'm just so confused how I can have so much love and complete acceptance and such disdain and misunderstanding from others.

    Must be what it's like to be a dentist.

    ReplyDelete