Saturday, February 12, 2011

"What Do You Say When A Kid Says You're Not a Real Clown"

How do you write a come back?

I've been writing comebacks for years. I first put out this little book of comebacks, 15 or so years ago. I took out a tiny ad in Laugh Maker Magazine and sold them for $5.

I've written a ton of things to say to kids when they ask questions like "you aren't a real clown".

If you start "listening" and "watching". You'll notice the same patterns again and again. Some patterns are pretty obvious, wave and someone will wave back.

When you hear "you aren't a real clown" over and over, it's a pattern. So, what made them say it? Why at that particular moment? and What do you want to say back?

I want to see kids laughing. So, my comebacks tend toward the very silly and the changing the direction of the thought process. I don't want to get into "so, what exactly is a real clown?" It's a question a kid can't answer, it's one of those, I know it when I see it things.

The last few years, I've tended toward agreement and doing a physical act. "You're right"...then dropping my hat on the floor, dropping something else, going into that routine.

I choose this because if you asked me what a clown was, I would lean on the physical presence. The being in character 100%. (See my thoughts on Stephen Colbert).

A lot of times, I lean on the verbal stuff. "how big are your shoes" Size 1....in clown. "These...they're loose. Someone was broken down on the highway so I gave them a toe"

The difference. "You're not a real clown is sort of challenging to my core" I am a clown, it's me day to day performing or not, I just am. I have to deal with that question pretty quickly or it actually hurts my feelings. The other stuff is just fun.

So, when I say listen. Listen to yourself too. I have to listen to my own reaction. Even though these are very young children, they can still get to me, they can insult me. I want to control the situation and lead it where I want.

Maybe I think too much. I should listen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment