Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Keeping the Faith..."

I was sitting here today, totally in my head, thinking thinking thinking.

To quote my old friend Woody, "My brain was percolating like a Mr. Coffee glub glub glub".

Really, I wasn't just sitting. I was sending out a flyer to libraries in my area. Some pretty far from me, they say please hire me. I said it with a little more aplomb but please hire me is the jist.

Big mailings are expensive. Up to this point, I've always done postcards, this year, I decided to cut paste and make a one sheet, print zillions of them and mail them off. More expensive than a postcard but I didn't have to wait for the design and the printer.

Here is the faith. I have no idea if the timing is right. I have a rough idea libraries are booking now for the summer but some booked everything two months ago. Some won't finish booking till May. I have no idea if anyone sees it. I have no idea if it works. I just have to get my name out as much as possible with my message of fun.

Historically, I have gotten work from it, usually it will cross the desk of the right person. I charge enough that it is worthwhile, at the worst, I'll book one more show and I'll still come out ahead.

But mailing is expensive, printing is expensive.

But this is the kind of thing you have to do. It takes me hours and hours and hours to fold, stuff, stamp, wet the envelope, drop in the mailbox.

Keep the faith, it will work....it will work...it will work

Being a working artist is always a gamble. It's a lot of money to me, so I'll have to stretch finances a bit further but if no one knows your name, how could they hire you?

It's an act of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment