Friday, October 29, 2010

"Free Shows"

I have a really hard time saying no to any offer, even if it's for a free show. What rattles through my head...they like me, they really like me!

Here is the problem...Sometimes the free shows are really good, they are so worth it.

There is so much written on this. It's a big complaint when I get together with other performers. I can't really imagine it's that different in any other industry though. I would think photographers or lawyers get bombarded with requests for free stuff as well.

What I try to keep in mind is, "this going to further my career?" The most interesting shows, the ones that get press are often not the best paying or no pay at all. So it's a dilema for sure.

I think that's the question to ask. Will this show forward my professional life in any way? I'm very fascinated with how children react in theatrical settings. I started life as an actor and have my college degree in theatre, specifically acting; I'm always drawn back to that world. In the theatre I can create a whole world, it's pretty fun. Often there is no pay.

I love watching children walking into a theatre, wide eyed with wonder at the curtains, lights, red velvet chairs. pretty cool.

So yes the interesting shows often lose you money but it may be where you want to be. And then there is the question of just doing something nice. I like the idea of doing good works, I can make the world a little happier.

I guess the big question. How nicely do they ask? But then again, I'm a pretty light touch, I say yes all the time. I think you can say no sometimes and say yes others. The best idea though, is to use these events as a chance to stretch yourself as a clown.

The next time someone calls for something free quit complaining and do it. Or don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment