Saturday, March 28, 2015

Best Birthday Party Entrance...


Generally when you go to a birthday party.  The mom (I'll just use mom as the general person that hired you) will say, "where would you like to set up"  or "we're not quite ready, would you like to eat something?"  or "The children are in the backyard let me go get them"  

I don't let any of that stuff happen.  I always always call before I come in.  I make sure I have a back up number so I can get someone on the phone.  I don't enter without calling first.  

When I get them on the phone, I ask if they are ready.  I don't want to start if the children are just eating or they are doing a pinata.  I want all that stuff out of the way.  

I ask to be met by the children.  Tell the mom to tell the children you're there, they can meet at the front door, back gate in the playground. 

The children see me.  I'm in character walking up.  I can do funny physical comedy.  I get no one screaming because they see I'm coming in, nothing shocking.  I've completely taken over.  Adults are removed.  This is what I want.  

Parents don't always know the best place to set up, how to gather the children, how to warm them up. By meeting me at the front door or greeting me I'm in total control.  Well not total but you know. 

While goofing with the kids at the front door I make the children laugh.  You can ask for the birthday child and shake the wrong child's hand.  You can say I don't see any boys here, the children will laugh and say there are lots of boys.  Play with that.  You can pretend to sneeze and chase them with a gross giant handkerchief.  All nice warm ups.  In the corner of your eye, check out the space, look for the best area.  Then lead the children to the best area.  Move furniture if you need to.  

Don't be afraid to start late.  When I call, I ask if they are ready for me or if they'd like me to wait a few minutes.  I think it's better to wait so you have all focus and all the guests have arrived.  Late comers are disruptive.  

Get in there and take over.  That's what entertainers do.    


No comments:

Post a Comment