Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Don't Get Lazy On Me...

I had a terrible show this morning.

It was my fault.

Here is a caveat on all I'm about to talk about.  The audience had a great time, I took lots of pictures.  It was a library show, the librarian couldn't gush over me more.

But it was a terrible show.  And it's my fault. I got lazy.

This is a library I've done for years.  It's tiny but we pack em in.  I don't have to bring sound or big tricks, I just don't have room.

It's not far from my house.  I was just blase about the whole show this morning.  I couldn't control the children the way I like to.  Because the room was stuffed, kids were staring right up my nose, when children are that close they start hitting and because I had a wide range of ages, interaction was tough.

I got to my 11am show at 10:53.  I like to be at library shows 30 minutes early, today reminded me why.

The room was set up wrong.  The entrance was right next to my playing area.  I would have turned all the chairs around and made the back the front.  I would remove one row of chairs, so I would have more room, parents can sit on the floor too.

By doing this, late comers wouldn't have been a distraction.  People having to leave early wouldn't have thrown the rhythm off.

I have this old saying.  The difference between a $200 magician and a $1000 magician, one has their shoes shined.  It's attention to detail.

What makes me a killer children's performer is I take charge.  My show kills because of a lot of attention to detail. I'm at heart lazy.  But lazy is not worth it.  It takes the fun out of performing.  

1 comment:

  1. David, this is such a great set of reminders as a performer. We should never slow down the energy of annual gigs. But it does happen sometimes! Keep up the smiles for the kids!

    ReplyDelete