Monday, October 17, 2011

"This Year's Big Show!"

Regular fans of Boswick know that each year I rent a theatre around Christmas time and do shows for families.

I have a giant passion for theatre. I love theatre, I have a college degree in Theatre Arts, when I go on vacation I see plays, when I get invited to shows, I go, when I'm in a bookstore (like those exist anymore), I will stop myself from going to the theatre section to daydream.

I was bored the other day and was thinking about all the shows I see. I consider myself a homebody. But I counted and realized I average one theatre experience every single week. Often I will see 3 things in a week.

So, it's a total passion of mine. Theatre and children is just fascinating to me. It's the one area everyone acknowledges is important but very little is done for kids. People plan their yearly trip to the Nutcracker but is that really for kids? I don't think so, it's neat and palatable but theatre for kids looks like Barney on stage.

People don't see the value of this kind of entertainment because what children respond to is simple and loving. Um...corny and sappy! So, it's hard for adults to get what's going on.

But children love theatre.

I do a stage show every year because it's such a treat for me. Selfishly, I want to see kids walk into a theatre and look at the lights, the red velvet seats, look at the stage and get exited.

I'm a one man band. I do the writing the performing, the promotion, I'll do the ticket sales, the press releases, I gave a check to the theatre, so I'm the producer and I will answer the phone describing the show.

I will be totally honest and say, IT'S FRUSTRATING! In the end though, it's really fun. And I'm fulfilled.

It's October and I woke up last night with the realization I'm behind on everything. But people will show up, they always do, it's just scary.

So, I am writing the show, I have some rough new ideas of what I want to do.
I need to make a page for a web site so people can find out about the show.
I need to find a way to sell tickets,
I need to contact literally thousands of people to sell the 100 tickets I need to break even.

On the other hand, it's pretty neat. My dream is to theatre shows, I love them. I love being in a theatre, I love the quiet when no on is there, I love the lights in my eyes, not knowing exactly where the audience is.

It's a process but hey, all big projects are.

No comments:

Post a Comment