Monday, May 9, 2011

"Pushing On..."

I had an interesting conversation with my 17 year old son yesterday.

He goes to a very very tough high school. For instance, he just finished his genetics midterm. When I was in high school, I was seeing if I could shoot a pencil out of the middle of the typewriter when hit certain keys in order...

This isn't so much about him though.

Junior year in high school is intense, you are working on grades for college, you are looking at colleges preparing taking the SAT, the AP tests, you are also taking hard classes that are pretty much on par with college classes. Not to mention the social aspect or nearly being an adult. My son is old enough, with my permission, to join the Marines. So just about an adult!

There is a burn out though that he was telling me about. He did his midterms, they just had their prom, he took the SAT test and they are tired and don't feel like working.

This is exactly where humans are most vulnerable.

It's so easy at this point, however you are relating to this overwork scenario, to sit on the couch and watch TV. I use TV metaphorically, because it might be watching youtube or playing on your Playstation for hours or simply talking on the phone and not getting anything real done.

I never had much use in my life for people that give into this I've done enough, time to sit on the couch thing.

And this is not to say I don't sit on my big old clown butt more than I think I should.

I realize though this is where I can make a difference.

When I was getting my black belt, it was the toughest two or three months of training of my life. The physical stuff was not that hard was the thing. Once I was training, I knew the moves, I just needed to work it over and over to precision.

The get your butt off the couch part was, the nagging voice in my head, "why?" To put myself through the challenge of constant correction, learning to keep my mouth shut (the hardest part for a smart ass like me) and just take class after class no matter how I felt.

Doing a martial art is just a discipline. I could have been studying yoga to a higher level or learning to play a musical instrument.

The point is where you get stuff done is when you are like my son, really sick of what you are doing. On the other side you have a tremendous breakthrough.

Of course until the next thing that gets in the way. But hey that's life if you are trying to get ahead!

Couch or keep moving?

The little angel and the little devil on your shoulder are opposite of what you think. The little devil is the one saying "you've done enough..." he's saying "I don't want you to succeed" The angel is very quiet and says, "you need to keep working" The angel can be very quiet but listen to her, she's the one that will bring happiness, fulfillment and lots more money in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment