Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tired of Explaining Myself...

Last night I met my friend's new girlfriend.

She had the "oh, clowns scare me thing"

She's very smart.  In fact, should have known better than to keep insulting me.  She's a therapist.  So also very educated.  And had no clue she made me very uncomfortable.

My article has been out a very short time, so everyone wants to talk to me about it and what it's like to be "famous"  (Nothing  to report so far).  So, my friends were there asking me questions.  She said, sitting next to me was difficult for her because she dislikes clowns.

So, I went into my academic explanation of clowns.  The history, all societies have clowns.  Of course you can make a scary clown.  The clown is a profoundly powerful character.  It's easy to make it scary.



I figured out last night while lying in bed why I was bothered by this conversation.  




My piece in New York was about the rude treatment we get and the surprise I feel about people not liking clowns.

I generally have accepted the conversation.  I figure it's like a dentist at a party with someone saying I don't like dentists.  Or a lawyer hearing a lawyer joke.

The difference.  I think people will say something rude to a dentist or lawyer but then say.  "I'm sure you're very good"

I have to defend my profession.  That's so odd.  And It's just tiring.  I don't think a dentist has to defend what they do.

Last night at dinner, I put on a nice face but I had to sit there next to a person that declared her dislike of me.  At no point she said.  "hmm.  you're right, kids like clowns, I can see that"  or even anything nice about me.

I'm very thinned skinned.  This stuff keeps me awake at night.

I thought having a whole fabulous researched article would give me legitimacy.  I would be one of the good ones.

Same crap, not a thing changed.  Even a whole article about me
didn't phase her.

I should have studied dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment