Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What Does a Clown Do On Their Own Birthday?

I have to admit, I'm a bit snarly about my own birthdays.  I don't like aging...or more precisely, not aging by being dead.

Hey, for a clown, I'm a pretty morbid guy.

Today, I turned 50...ouch.  I told my wife, three weeks ago, please no celebration.

She didn't listen, we had a gathering.  I'm glad it was fun.  I was really dreading being the center of attention.  I know odd right?  I was really dreading all the jokes about one step closer to death.  Jokes about the best part of my life being behind me.  People saying 50 is the new 30.

50 is the new 50.  I'm bald.  My kids ignore me and I'm now depressing myself.

For a clown, I'm a pretty morbid guy.

Parties are fun though.  I think it's like doing a favor for someone and you say, no, it's nothing...and they say, really I appreciate it, you say, it's nothing etc.  It's mean to not accept a thank you from someone.

And it's mean when you have a big birthday not to just be there and accept that people want to celebrate and they want to acknowledge you.

I had fun tonight.  As my brother Steve said, I round up, you're a hundred.  I feel a hundred.

For a clown, I'm a pretty morbid guy.




4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I'm 42 myself and just getting started in clowning... this summer I'm doing advance work for Kelly Miller. People always say that age is only a number, but why does the number have to be so big? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just started and you are doing advance for Kelly Miller. Wow! I love that circus. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

      I don't like the number, I don't like that I'm a dirty old man.

      Delete
  2. i sent you an email in reply... it was to your business address and I got an automated response! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I set that up to try to get people to call. In the birthday party business you usually want to be the first one they call. If they like what they hear, it's a booking.

    ReplyDelete