Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Should I wear Clown Gloves?

Sherry Wrote:

I have run across some clowns who say that gloves are essential & to cover as much of your arms, hands, basically skin, etc. to make ur appearance look more animated or cartoony....
What's your take on this?


This is the "what is a clown?" question.  


Sherry told me some time ago, some kids called her a clown and she was dressed just like her own beautiful self.  She was very excited


So, you're already a clown.  


How do you want to present yourself?


I can't wear gloves because I'm a juggler and I do a lot of magic.  It's tough to juggle with gloves on unless I put grips of some sort on them. Which seems silly.  


On the other hand, I would never ever let children see me without gloves as Santa.  Do you believe your clown character is a magic character that lives in the circus and eats cotton candy every afternoon? 


Or, like me, is your clown an extension of your own person, a reflection of the world?


How far do you want to take your character?  


I'm a working clown.  I have to cut corners, wigs and gloves don't work for me because they are in the way.  


Some places I don't cut corners.  I keep my own hair weirdly long and wiry.  If I weren't a clown, I'd probably cut my hair very short, to lessen the look of my balding.  I don't ever wear short sleeves because I have hairy arms and that doesn't work for me.  I wear full base make up at all times, it would be easier to wear less and none on my neck for sure.  


I love the look of a full clown.  I'm a Ringling Clown after all.  In the circus, we never wore gloves unless it was for publicity.  


If your primary work is parades, make up competitions, then you should go all the way.  My first clown mentor, (who was cut 


Children's parties, events making balloons.  I would skip gloves.  For photos, wear gloves.  


People make a lot of "rules" about clowning.  My opinion...be the best clown you can, sometimes you have to give up looks for laughter.  I go with laughter 10 out of 10 times.  

4 comments:

  1. ...The bottom line says it all!...Thx Boswick!!
    That's the primary reason I clown anyway!! I'm an active clown too usually outdoors in all types of weather & when its hot....its realllly hot so the sleeves get short & the heavy socks got to go, even tho I still maintain colored tights/nylons....which are hot enough! Thx again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, you get my point.

    If you're posing for pictures, that's one thing but if you are doing things, unfortunately, gloves may not work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the full look of a clown, white gloves make them cuter somehow. But without it it's fine too. As long they wear a red nose, they're a clown. Sadly, in my country most are pretty much against make-up and such. Some are even against the red nose (but without it, you're just a comedian I think, or "child entertainer"). So here you have a lot people wearing random clothes and adult faces with a red nose on it.
    I'm one of the very few who do the full clown look. I do wear gloves, because it just looks weird without it. Everything is clean and cartoony, so flesh with it looks weird. I am able juggle with them a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold strong. Your look is important, sloppy never passes, it's just sloppy.

      The most important thing is to do what you see when you close your eyes and see "clown".

      People love to make rules. Others are trying to tell you what a clown should look like, break the rule and put on make up, gloves and wear gloves!

      Thanks for writing. Means a lot to me.

      David

      Delete