Friday, June 3, 2011

"Getting Motivated!!!!!"

Do you get blocked on your projects. I'm not talking about someone hiding the clicker to the garage door opener but you get in the way of you?

Here's my project du jour...

I have a lot of writing in notebooks, files on my computer, I send jokes to myself by email, I try dry erase boards.

I've got a lot of 2/3 done projects.

I suppose it's the curse of the creative mind. I have all good intentions that this time I'll follow through to the end...

I think I found away with my current project. I have a book of come backs. My son helped me with a new name for them "right back at ya's" I removed all the Don Rickles insult stuff. I love writing those but I don't allow them to see the light of day, too snotty.

I have been collecting comebacks for "is this your full time job?" and "Quit Clowning Around" for years. I sold my first version of my 500 comebacks after workshops I would teach. I can't say it paid for the copying costs but it's a neat idea of a book for children's entertainers and I've always returned to it.

February March I want nutso on it. Writing literally 50 to 100 jokes a day. Asking magicians, jugglers clowns, balloon makers, face painters... What do you get asked a lot?

I had them all over the place. But I did have lots and lots of jokes.

I went on vacation in late March with my younger son. And lost all momentum and haven't been able to start up again. Talk about frustration with myself. The work now is organize the jokes into categories, format it so it looks nice and send it off to a publisher. Yes, a lot of work but I've always had a dream of being a published author.

Today I found a way. It's been tough this year to make a living. Slow as can be.

The frustration with this book, I know it can get published, I know I can make a little money from it. Well it's worth the gamble anyway, it's just my time.

I hung a sign up today next to my computer. "Work on your book for Duncan and Dustin)"

I will do just about anything I have to to keep them fed, in good schools, with nice clothes.

I found my motivation. All my nonsense in my head stopping me from working on this project can't compete with possibly making some money so I can get a car for my son when he goes to college. Or pay for music camp for my younger son.

It's tough, I am fighting it but I'm working. That's really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment