Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Who is Boswick The Clown?"

I've been a clown for a long time. A really long time. I was a clown when Ronald Reagan was in office. I remember looking at a picture from the newspaper with a bunch of other clowns in the circus when Dukakis stared out of a tank with an oversized army helmet on his head.

I've spent over half my life making kids laugh. I've spent half my life in make up.

Why?

I don't know. When I was a kid, I just wanted to be a performer and found myself really happy being strange and funny.

I've dealt with laughing, crying, puking. I've made kids laugh so hard they've wet their pants. I've made parents laugh so hard they choke on their drinks and can't catch their breath.

I've toured with circuses, made my living blowing up balloons and shaping it into dogs and flowers. Walked on 8 foot stilts, I've found just the right timing on when to "accidently" step on a woopie cushion and how many times for maximum effect. I've said the word "poo" possibly a hundred thousand times.

Yet.

This is my job.

This is what I happen to do. I happen to be a clown...

No comments:

Post a Comment